How to Type Pi Symbol in MS Word and Excel via Keyboard?
Do you ever feel the need to insert Pi symbols in MS Word and MS Excel? It’s the basic need of users who have to deal with mathematical calculations. We agree with you. It will be a challenge for you to meet this situation.
If you are looking for methods that make you able to insert Pi symbols in MS Word and MS Excel, then you are right place. We will make you familiar with some way that will definitely resolve your issue.
In this article, we will describe five ways to insert Pi symbols in MS Word and MS Excel via a shortcut, Alt code, copy and paste, etc. You need to stick with this post. Hopefully, at the end of this stream, you will gain almost everything for you are here.
Quick help to Insert Pi Symbol [π]:
Suppose you want to type the Pi symbol on Mac, press [option]+P shortcut key simultaneously. It’s a straightforward way to insert Pi on Mac. In the case of Windows, you have to press down the Alt key and then type 227, i.e., pi alt code) it will require the use of a numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key. These shortcut keys will work in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for both Windows and Mac.
In the below table, all shortcut keys are given, which you need to insert the Pi symbol in Window and Mac.
Table of Pi Symbol:
|Symbol Name||Pi sign|
|Shortcut for Windows||Alt+227|
|Shortcut for Mac||[Option] + [P]|
|Shortcut in Word (Win)||03C0, Alt + X|
What is Pi Symbol?
The symbol π is a number mathematical constant which is equal to 3.14159 approximately. It has been denoted by the letter “π” which belongs to the Greek. From the mid of 18th century, sometimes it is also spelled out as “pi.” It is also known as Archimedes’ constant.
In basic mathematics, Pi is being used to calculate the area and circumference of a circle. It might not be used in your daily life. Likewise, Pi is being used in most calculations for construction and building, quantum physics, music theory, communications, medical procedures, space flight, and air travel.
From these applications, we can get an idea of how much Pi is essential.
How to type Pi symbol in MS Word and MS Excel:
In the above guide, we make you familiar with shortcut keys and Alt codes by which you can insert Pi symbols in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. It will work for both categories of PC Windows and Mac.
In addition to it, Microsoft Office provides you multiple options to insert symbols that are not mentioned on your keyboard. Now, we will tell you other methods by which you can insert Pi symbols easily. Okay, without any delay, we are going to crack other alternatives to insert Pi.
Method-1: Insert Pi symbol [π] by Alt code [Windows only]:
As we know, Pi symbols are not available on the keyboard because they are not dedicated to it, but there are methods by which you can type it like Alt codes. So you need to press down and hold the Alt key and type the Pi symbol Alt code (227) using the numeric keypad.
Two things keep in mind that it will work only in Windows, and your keyboard must have numeric keys.
Follow the steps given in the blow to insert Pi symbols on your keyboard:
- Insertion pointer place there, where you want the pi symbol.
- Now, you need to press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- While you are holding on to the Alt key, at the same moment, press the pi symbol’s alt code (227). You have to use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. This method may not work for you, If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad. In the case of a hidden numeric keypad for some computer, you can make it enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Then, release the Alt key when you have done the Alt code to type the Pi Symbol into your document.
In this way, you will insert the Pi symbol on your keyboard, but it will work only in Windows.
Method-2: Insert Pi Symbol [π] by Shortcut [Windows and Mac]:
For windows users, the shortcut key method is to press and hold down the Alt key simultaneously press [Alt] code 227. In this way, you can insert the Pi symbol. For Mac user’s shortcut key method is to encourage [option]+[P]. To type Alt code 227, you need to use a numeric keyboard. Press the Num Lock key to turn it on.
For Windows, follow the steps given below for the shortcut Pi symbol:
- Insertion pointer place there, where you want insert symbol.
- Then, press and hold down the Alt key.
- When pressing down the Alt key, at the same moment, press 227 by using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
For Mac, follow the steps given below for shortcut Pi symbol:
- First of all, insertion pointer place there, where you want to insert the π symbol.
- Now, press Option+P together on your keyboard to type the Pi symbol.
Likewise, you can type Pi symbols in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Method-3: Insert Pi Symbol [π] by Copy and Paste sign:
Copy and paste is another method to insert the Pi symbol. It’s an easies method and also my recommendation. You can copy the Pi symbol from a web page. If you are using windows, you can copy from the character page and paste where you want to insert. For copy Pi symbol use Ctrl + C and for paste Ctrl + v.
You can also use copy and paste buttons.
For Windows users, follow the instructions to copy and paste the Pi symbol from the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search Character Map there. In the search results, the Character Map app will appear, click and open.
- The Character Map pop-up will appear. To check the Advanced view check-box, Click on it, and expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, in the Search box, insert Pi.
- Now, you can see the Pi on the character map dialog. If you cannot see it, you need to look through the symbols to locate it. When you discover it, click double on it to select. Either, you can click on the Select button.
- When you made the selection by double-clicking it, it will appear in the Character map to copy. Then to copy the symbol, click on the Copy button.
- I turned on to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, insertion pointer place there, where you want to insert and press CTRL+V to paste.
Method-4: Inserting Pi Symbol by Insert Symbol Dialog Box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint):
Insert symbol dialog box is known as the library of symbols from where you can make signs for your Word or Excel document.
Follow the below instructions to insert the Pi symbol via the insert symbol dialog box:
- First of all, open your Word document.
- Insertion pointer place there, where you want to type the symbol.
- Now, Go to the Insert tab.
- You need to click on the Symbol drop-down from the Symbols category and click on the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box pop up will appear. From the Subset drop-down list, click on Greek and Coptic to show symbols in this category, which contains the Pi symbol.
- Now, select the Pi symbol and then click on the Insert button. Another method, double click on the Pi symbol to type it into your Word document.
Likewise, you will insert Pi symbols in your MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
Pi symbols are not dedicated to the keyboard, but Microsoft office offers you multiple methods by which you can insert Pi symbols in your Word and PowerPoint. Some users are not familiar with these methods. Shortcuts are the fastest methods to insert Pi symbols for both Windows and Mac. In addition to it, multiple other plans are also discussed in detail.